Winnipeg Housing is a Non-Profit Charitable Corporation that provides safe, affordable housing to individuals and families throughout the City of Winnipeg. We manage approximately 1,800 rental units and facilitate home ownership in the city through the development of single and multi-family homes. We offer a working environment that is as challenging as it is rewarding.
Closing Date: Open until filled
Salary: $13.44 hourly wage – unionized position
Hours: 70 hours bi-weekly
Reports to: Property Manager
Winnipeg Housing Rehabilitation Corporation (WHRC), incorporated in 1978, is a Non-Profit Charitable Corporation governed by a volunteer board of directors and is involved in the development and management of affordable housing and community support. WHRC’s mandate as a housing developer is to continue our efforts to bring about positive change in the lives of families and Winnipeg neighbourhoods. Our goal is to work closely with communities and residents to determine housing needs and to provide assistance in accomplishing community affordable housing goals.
The Caretaker is relied upon as a point of contact for all building residents. Further, he or she ensures the property is maintained and well-kept at all times. The incumbent will be responsible and perform the duties of the position with a helpful and friendly disposition.
The successful candidate will be a high school graduate or academic equivalent. The incumbent will also satisfy the following additional skills/qualifications:
The incumbent will also satisfy the following additional skills/qualifications:
- Patience and the ability to deal with stressful situations and circumstances
- Able to conform to sifting priorities, demands and timelines
- Communication and interpersonal skills – must be able to communicate effectively with tenants, fellow staff members and contractors – must be able to read and write in English
- Physical and mental ability to perform a full range of cleaning, maintenance, security and administrative duties – must be able to life at least 50 lbs.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated ability to perform minor home maintenance task
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving capabilities
- Clear criminal record abstract
- Valid class 5 driver’s license and reliable vehicle – preferred
- Knowledge of or experience working in not-for-profit housing
- Experience or knowledge of Residential Tenancies Act and landlord requirements thereunder
Duties & Responsibilities:
The following listing is not exhaustive but does highlight some of the positions main responsibilities:
- Cleaning and maintenance of common areas (vacuuming, grass cutting, snow shovelling etc.)
- Moving items (possible heavy lifting)
- Minor in-suite maintenance tasks as required
- Generally monitor assigned buildings and related security
- Record keeping (snow shoveling log, assigned key log, etc.)
- Suite turnover reports – move-in/out condition reports and spec sheets
- Be available during 8:00 am – 6:00 pm
- Be available to respond to emergencies not during regular business hours
- Other duties as assigned
The successful candidate should have a reliable vehicle and a valid driver’s license and be physically able to attend construction sites to perform inspections and supervision of work under progress.
Applicants are asked to send their cover letter and resume referencing Caretaker in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to 104 – 60 Frances St. Winnipeg MB R3A 1B5. Your cover letter & resume must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
We thank all who apply however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.